Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baptismal Ministry, Mutual Ministry, March 30

While I enjoyed the video, I would actually like to write more on the supplemental reading, Born of Water, Born of Spirit Supporting the Ministry of the Baptized in Small Congregations. I mentioned in class, or after class, I can’t remember, I enjoyed reading this book because it felt like a baptism almost, like smooth flowing water to my inner self.

As a Roman Catholic (sense a theme yet?) I have always been led to believe I can only go so far and be taken seriously to a point within the church. The idea of having power because I was baptized and therefor should be ministering, even as a lay person, is a breath of fresh air for me. I took comfort in the words, “Rather than starting with the assumption of belief, the making of early Christians centered on the experience of baptism” (Kujawa-Holbrook, 67). I was thinking to myself, yes, that does sound familiar, and probably could still be utilized . . . I also then thought of my confirmation, made under threat as at 17 I was struggling with my faith and was not quite ready to reaffirm my Roman Catholic identity. But I did, and if it counted under duress, it must really count now!

I also found all the examples of small churches refreshing. From speaking with Susan I also was able to form more of a picture, as she belongs to a small church. The idea of church that “carries on being the place where people are constantly reaching out, to include, embrace and encourage [other] people to belong” (Kujawa-Holbrook, 36) is very comforting and inspiring. This idea made me think about why larger churches have so much more difficulty, and thinking of my own, all I could imagine are more of those “stridently strong” personality types. So now I have something new to think about in addition to the ministry of the baptized in all size congregations.

No comments:

Post a Comment